Welcome to BIT115 and the world of java!
This is the "official" website for the Spring 2017 BIT115 (Section 1) class. Everything you need to complete this course can be found through this website, including the textbook, apps, docs, sample files, PowerPoint slides, instructional videos, and more. All assignments and grading will be done through StudentTracker (see sidebar on right -->).
TEXTBOOK (AVAILABLE FREE IN PDF FORMAT)
- Textbook: Java - Learning to Program with Robots by Byron Weber Becker
The author has generously posted the entire book free online in PDF format and the book's example code. In this class we will be using both WholeThing.pdf and LayOfTheLand.pdf.
Getting SET UP (APPS, Docs, Slides, Videos)
- INSTALL FIRST : Java Platform (JDK) 8u121 (or latest build if version # changes)
- INSTALL SECOND : jGrasp Compiler (to run the Java programs)
- INSTALL THIRD : becker.jar (for Robots, Cities, Things, Methods)
- DIRECTIONS: How to Setup Your BIT115 Workspace (PowerPoint Slide)
- DIRECTIONS: How to Setup the Software on your PC (PowerPoint Slide)
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO: How to Setup the Software on your PC (MP4, 76MB)
If the video portion of the video doesn't stream (you hear the audio, but don't see the video) it is recommended that you save the file locally by right-clicking on the link and selecting "Save link as..." (Firefox) or "Save target as..." and pointing the download to your desktop, thumb drive, or other location of your choice. To view the file once it is download, I recommend installing and using the VLC Media Player.
- TROUBLESHOOTING: jGRASP wedge2 error: command "javac" not found ERROR
Libraries & Specifications
- Becker Robot Library Use to see what methods are available in a particular Robot class
- DIRECTIONS: How to Use the Becker Robot Library (Step-by-Step)
- Java Library (Oracle)
- Java Tutorials (Oracle)
- Java Language Specifications (Oracle)
- BIT115 Student Open-Source Guides (Help from previous BIT115 students)