6 as a Reference
- Complete using your textbook to find answers to the following
questions. Next week we will spend
going over this information and answering any questions that come up. Good luck and have fun! Be sure to look at the grading criteria
before and during your work.
- Outline shows a
conscientious effort to be complete and explain the questions posed. Most answers are correct.
- Student shows depth of
answers by explaining, defining, and giving examples where
appropriate. If there is a sentence
or less for each question, this grading criterion is not met.
1. Why did developed nations come through the
demographic transition without getting caught in the poverty-population
trap? How did developing nations get
caught in this trap?
2. At the Cairo
conference in 1994, what was agreed upon?
3. Discuss the
factors that influence family size in developing nations.
a) Why does wanting security in old age affect
b) Why does infant and childhood mortality affect family
Explain the factor of helping hands.
d) What does the importance of education have to do with
e) How does the status of women relate to family size?
How does the availability of
contraception relate to family size?
- What are the factors that are
conducive to having small families?
(Why does development lead
to smaller family size?)
- How do high fertility, environmental degradation and poverty drive
each other? This is called the
- In the development of nations what has been the
- Bad news?
- What is the World Bank (what is its function)?
- What has the bank done that did not improve the
conditions of developing nations?
- What has worked?
- What is the debt crisis?
- Why is the debt crisis an ‘ecological disaster’?
- What is debt relief? What must a country do to get their debt
- Social modernization:
- In social modernization what
type of education is stressed?
- Why does social modernization
put so much emphasis on reproductive health care?
- Why do diseases such as AIDS
continue the population problem?
- What is the primary function
of family planning?
- Why do family planning
services result in fewer abortions?
- How many women die annually
from abortions performed by untrained doctors?
- What is the United States
current policy towards international family planning? Does this help developing nations move
towards social modernization?
- What is micro lending?
- Why does micro lending seem
to be more successful than large loans for large projects?
- Why does environmentally
sustainability depend on resource management?
- What is result of the Cairo
- How are the goals of the
conference going to be accomplished?