Due Sunday by
Use Chapter 3 as a Reference
Complete using your
textbook to find answers to the following questions. Next week we will spend going over this information
and answering any questions that come up.
Good luck and have fun!
Outline Grading Criteria
- Outline shows a conscientious effort to be complete and explain the
questions posed. Most answers are
- Student shows depth of answers by explaining, defining, and giving
examples where appropriate. If
there is a sentence or less for each question, this grading criterion is
- What is the law of conservation of matter?
- Define an element:
- What are the 6 key elements?
(The six that make up about 95% of living bodies).
- Describe each of the four spheres.
- How can you tell the difference between organic
and inorganic compounds?
6. If living organisms need more of a particular
element, where in the abiotic environment are the
- Define the term energy:
- Define the term Kinetic Energy and give several
- Define the term Potential Energy and give
Thermodynamics are laws that govern
how Matter and Energy interact.
- Define the first law of thermodynamics and give
- Define the second law of thermodynamics and
give an example:
- Do the first and second laws
contradict each other? Explain.
7. In relationship to the tropic pyramid answer
a) How do matter and energy enter the pyramid?
b) Describe what producers do with the matter and energy they
c) What is the relationship of cellular
respiration and weight gain and
d) How do matter and energy exit the pyramid?
e) How do matter and energy move from level to level?
f) How much E moves from level to level?
g) What happened to the rest of the energy that is not